The problem of pigmented, dark lips is very common. Dark lips are caused due to many things, including sun exposure, excessive coffee or tea drinking, allergies, and most commonly, smoking. Dark lips can also be genetic. So, in case, you have dark lips right from birth, there is not really much to be done except cosmetic surgery perhaps.
But if the problem of dark lips is not genetic, then this annoying problem can be fixed by implementing a few changes to your daily routine.
Here are the 14 ways to lighten your lip color.
- Say ‘NO’ to smoking: Smoking generally causes serious health risks and at the same time it can also discolor the lips. The nicotine and tar that get transferred to the lips through inhalation of the cigarette smoke, cause discoloration and constricting blood vessels in the skin which in turn cause discoloring of lips. If you do not quit smoking, it will be harder to reverse the damage caused by smoking to your soft lips. Also smoking can cause many health problems. So, make efforts to quit smoking to make your lips pink and enjoy many health benefits.
- Drink less coffee: Excess consumption of coffee can cause dark lips as well as stained teeth. So, to avoid dark lips you must limit your caffeine intake. Coffee contains caffeine, which restricts blood flow to the lips and can lead to dark pigmentation which can darken your lips. One or two cups of coffee a day will not cause any harm, but when consumed in excess it can darken your lips. You can also drink water with your coffee to cut back its effect.
- Avoid sun exposure: Too much exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun also causes lip darkening as there is an increased amount of melanin pigment in the lips. If you are going out in the sun, always opt for lip care products with SPF/UV protectors. This will prevent your lips from darkening due to exposure to the sun’s harmful rays. It is also recommended to apply lip balm on your lips before using any kind of lipstick.
- Check your lip care products: At times, wrong or poor quality lip care products can make your lips dark. It is highly recommended to buy lip care products from reputed brands only. Also ensure that you check for the expiry date before buying or using lipsticks or lip products. At the same time opt for products that contain moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, clarified butter, vitamin E and jojoba oil.
- Use lipstick sparely: Prolonged and excessive use of lipsticks can also cause lip pigmentation which in turn will darken your lips. This is why beauty experts always advice using lipsticks sparingly. Use lipstick only when you need them the most. Also never forget to remove your lipstick at the end of the day with the help of a good lip makeup remover. You can also put a bit of olive oil or almond oil on a cotton ball and rub your lips with it gently to remove your lipstick.
- Exfoliation: It is very important to exfoliate your lips at least once every week to retain its natural pink shade. Exfoliation helps to remove dead cells and dry skin from your lips, and improve blood circulation. Take one teaspoon sugar and add 5-6 drops of olive oil to it and then use this mixture for exfoliating your lips. Otherwise, you can use some petroleum jelly on a baby toothbrush to gently exfoliate your lips. After exfoliating your lips, rinse your lips properly and then apply lip moisturizer on your lips.
- Use lip moisturizer: Lips have very delicate skin and hence, they need to be kept moist all the time to avoid developing cracks as well as dark lips. This is why regular moisturizing is very important to keep your lips soft and pink. Lip balm and petroleum jelly or even milk cream can be used to keep the lips moisturized.
- Stay hydrated: To enjoy rosy lips, it is also very essential to keep your whole body hydrated at all times. You can do this easily by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. It is highly recommended to drink eight to ten glasses of water daily. Also, include water based fruits to your diet such as cucumber and watermelon. There are many benefits of drinking water. Know about the benefits here at www.mindbodygreen.com.
- Don’t lick your lips: Dermatologists advise not to suck or lick the lips, in order to keep them wet. If not taken care, this will further dry them out, leading to darkening of the lips. Even the habit of biting lips should be avoided as there is the risk of damaging the outer surface of your lips. So, irrespective of how strong you feel the urge to lick your lips, try to avoid it any cost.
- Keep glycerin handy: Glycerin is very useful to recover original color of lips. It moisturizes and repairs the skin, makes it soft and helps to recover the original color of lips. You can use glycerin in liquid or gel form to retain the rosy color of your lips. Apply glycerin on your lips and leave for 20 minutes then wash it Do this daily at least 4 to 5 times on your lips.
- Avoid chlorinated water: Chlorinated water can also be responsible for pigmented lips and hence you need to avoid using such kind of water. It has been found that repeated exposure to chlorinated water can cause skin rashes, allergies, itchiness and discoloration of skin. To avoid chlorine’s harmful effects, you can use a chlorine filter on your shower, bathtub or tap. Chlorine has many negative health effects. Read this article at www.pure-earth.com to know about them.
- Maintain healthy diet: It is very essential to follow a healthy diet plan in order to maintain the natural color of your lips. Fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C must be consumed daily to avoid the discoloration of your lips. Vitamin C decreases the production of melanin and the skin pigment, which is main reason for the dark skin. Hence, try to eat foods rich in this vitamin.
- Drink one glass milk daily: Lactic acid is one of the most efficient ingredients to use in order to lighten the dark shade of your lips. You can get lactic acid from milk. The lactic acid in milk will help to get back the original color of your lips and remove the dead cells that damage your pink lips. Therefore, you need to drink a glass of milk daily. You can also apply a few drops of milk on a cotton pad and place it on the lips.
- Home treatments: There are many home treatments that you can easily follow at home to get rid of your dark lips. For instance, applying few drops of almond oil on your lips before going to bed helps to lighten lips. You can also mix lemon juice with almond oil and apply it on your lips before going to bed, and leave it overnight to enjoy pink lips. Daily application of cucumber juice would also help lighten dark lips. Another tried and tested remedy is regularly applying a mixture of lime juice, glycerin and honey and leaving it overnight. Find out some more simple remedies for dark lips here at www.top10homeremedies.com and hirabeautytips.com.
With the help of these tips you can surely enjoy pink and rosy lips gives a beautiful look. Follow these tips seriously for some time to get positive results.