Skin is the largest organ of the body and as you age, elasticity of the skin decreases. This results in loose and saggy skin particularly around the eyes, mouth, cheeks, and neck. With age, sagging skin is considered normal. However, at times skin looks loose at an early age due to rapid weight loss, pregnancy, poor nutrition, dehydration, too much sun exposure, excessive drinking and smoking.
Loose and sagging skin does not look good at all. If you want to improve the health of your skin and firm it up for a more youthful appearance, you can opt for surgery, nonsurgical facelifts, over-the-counter facial washes, creams, scrubs, toners and masks. Also there are some simple tips that can help you achieve your goal.
Here are the 14 steps to avoid sagging skin.
- Drink Enough Water: De-hydrated skin becomes saggy and loose. Drinking adequate water is the best natural method for firming up skin. Try to drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water daily. Water will effectively moisturize, firm, tighten, and hydrate the skin, and also help to flush out toxins from body.
- Apply Sunscreen: Exposing your skin to the harmful rays of the sun is the primary cause of sagging skin and pre-mature aging. So, it is important to protect your skin from harmful effects of sun’s ultraviolet rays by using a sunscreen. For the best protection, apply a good quality sunscreen generously on your face and neck, 30 minutes before going outdoors.
- Do Regular Massaging: One of the best and simplest ways to prevent sagging skin it is to regular massage. Massage helps to tighten loose skin tissues that give flabby and puffy skin. Try to massage your face and neck with aloe vera gel. This will help to moisturize the skin along with tightening your skin.
- Use Natural Oil: There are some oils like avocado oil, castor oil, grape seed oil, and jojoba oil that can help to tighten loose skin. Warm any of these oils gently, apply on the affected area and then massage with firm strokes for 10 to 15 minutes. Oil massage once daily can help to get rid of loose skin. Natural skin tightening oils can be found in high quality skin firming creams and lotions.
- Eat Healthy Foods: A healthy diet plan is very essential for healthy and young looking skin. Try to follow a healthy diet plan rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Fruits and vegetables have nutrients beneficial to the skin and overall health.
- Avoid Fatty, Processed Foods: You must avoid eating high sugar foods. High sugar can increase your circulating insulin level which in turn can increase inflammation in the body. Too much inflammation is linked to early cellular damage.
- Tightening Astringent: Astringents must be applied topically daily to skin surfaces for tightening body tissues. You can get an astringent from the market or make one at home. To make your own skin tightening astringent, mix together a teaspoon of honey, a tablespoon of witch hazel, and some chopped up rosemary. Rub this mixture on the affected skin area three to four times a week to get smoother and firmer skin.
- Cleanser: Another natural beauty tip to prevent sagging skin is to use a cleanser daily. For better result, make your very own cleanser at home. Mix together items like sugar, milk, and mashed papaya or berries. Use the mixture as a natural cleanser for your skin. This will help to get rid of loose skin.
- Do Facial Exercises: To get rid of sagging skin, perform facial muscle exercises twice every day. Facial exercises tighten the unused muscles in the face, which tones the skin properly. This in turn tightens sagging skin. There are different facial exercises that can firm and tighten muscles and skin on cheek, eyes, lips, neck, and forehead.
- Lose Weight in a Healthy Manner: If you want to lose weight, then it is wise to do it in a healthy manner. Avoid crash diet weight loss programs and too much of exercising. These strategies will have a harsh impact on your skin as well as your health.
- Weight Lifting Exercises: Try to do weight lifting exercises two to three times a week for half an hour. These exercises will help to get rid of baby fat and also it help not lose lean muscles. Lean muscles help to keep your skin tight and firm.
- Dry Brushing: This is a method where with a soft boar bristle brush you brush your skin. This is done prior to bathing or showering. Dry brushing helps to exfoliate your skin as well improve blood circulation. This increased circulation will help bring vital nutrients to the skin and improve the quality of collagen and elastin, which will improve the skins ability to bounce back following weight loss.
- Avoid Excessive Alcohol: One drink a day for women and two for men is fine. But if you drink more than the recommended amount it is extremely bad for skin and your health in general. People who drink heavily tend to not eat a healthy diet, thus depriving skin of the nutrients it needs to prevent aging.
- Quit Smoking: Wrinkles and other signs of aging occur sooner and run deeper in people who smoke. Decreased blood flow to the face, and damage from toxic chemicals in smoke, are the likely causes. So, if you wish to protect your youthful looks, then quitting smoking surely makes some sense.