The skin is the largest organ in the body and is composed of cells, nerves and blood vessels. Different people have different skin tones. The color of the skin is associated with melanin, which is a kind of pigment that protects the body from the UV rays of the sun. The increase in melanin count reveals a tanner colored skin, whereas less melanin means fairer skin tone. It is the fairer skin tone that most people prefer to have.
In fact, the craze for lighter skin tone amongst people is such that it has compelled manufacturers to come up with end numbers of skin lightening products in the market. These products cause more harm to your skin than good.
If you are not born with a fair complexion, this does mean that you cannot improve your complexion. Several renowned models and celebrities have improved their skin complexion by taking good care of their skin. There are actually numerous simple ways to lighten one’s skin complexion.
Here are the 14 way to lighten skin complexion:
1. Use a sunscreen daily: Regular usage of sunscreen lotions cna improve your skin complexion. Skin tanning and sunburns are generally caused due to excess exposure of skin to harmful UV rays of the sun. These rays increase the melanin level in the body which in turn results in uneven and dark skin tone. So, regardless of whether you are indoor or outdoor, whether it is summer or winter, you need to use a sunscreen daily. It is highly recommended to use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 20. You can know more about sunscreen at www.skincancer.org.
2. Avoid direct sunlight: It is important to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays of the sun through the use of proper clothing. Avoid short dresses when going out in the sun. Choose your clothes properly so that maximum parts of your body remain covered. Also do not forget to wear a hat when outside and especially in the summer. Also you need to void going out in the sun during the peak hours like 10 AM to 2 PM.
3. Use moisturizer daily: Regularly moisturizing your skin will also help a lot. Dry skin absorbs more heat which can cause darker skin tone. It has been found that skin tone starts looking fairer when moisturized regularly. You must be aware of the dry areas of your body and take extra care in moisturizing them on a regular basis. Also do not forget to apply moisturizer at night. Your skin repairs itself while you sleep and a light moisturizer will help in your skin’s rejuvenation process.
4. Wash your face twice daily: To improve your skin color it is very important to keep your face clean. Wash your face with water and a good quality face wash once in the morning and later on at night. This is a good way to avoid any build up of dirt and oils on the skin. Also do not vigorously wash your face with soap, this damages the skin and makes it dry.
5. Exfoliate once a week: You need to exfoliate your skin not more than once a week in order to remove dead skin cells. This will help a lot to get rid of old darker skin cells and allow new ‘lighter’ ones to come to the surface. The fresh skin that is revealed will have a lighter skin tone. You can get an exfoliating product from the market or make one at home by mixing sugar and lemon juice together. For some more home made exfoliating face scrubs, check homemadeforelle.com.
6. Stick to skin care products: In order to maintain the quality of your skin, do not switch your skin care products from one thing to another on frequent basis. To show improvement, you must give products a chance to work, and always opt for products that are suitable to your skin tone. Wrong products and use of different products can spoil your skin quality. In case of any doubt while selecting skin care products, you can always take help of beauty experts.
7. Avoid highly polluted areas: Avoiding smoky and highly polluted environments is a smart and easy way to look fairer. According to Diane S. Berson, an assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, in New York City, “just being around smoke can lead to the release of free radicals that damage skin and hasten aging.” Also keep in mind that apart from outdoor polluted air, dry indoor air can dehydrate skin and make fine lines more noticeable. Always use a humidifier in your home to keep your skin healthy.
8. Have sound sleep: A sound sleep of 7-8 hours daily is one of the secrets of healthy skin. Sound sleep prevents wrinkled skin, dull and puffy eyes and dark circles. This is because when you sleep the skin’s repair mechanisms take place. When you are sleep-deprived, you become more stress which in turn can cause many skin problems. So, every night try to enjoy sound sleep. In case you are having trouble with sleeping it is better to take professional help.
9. Control stress: Too much stress and anxiety can cause a myriad of skin problems and can even darken your skin tone. In a study conducted at Stanford University, researchers found that stress increases the body’s production of hormones such as cortisol, which can make skin oilier and decrease its ability to fight off skin infections. So, in order to control your complexion it is important to get your mind and emotions in control which can be done by reducing stress level.
10. Drink water: Keep your skin smooth and supple by keeping it hydrated. The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology indicates that “water is absolutely essential for the normal functioning of the skin and especially its outer layer.” You can keep your skin as well as your body hydrated by drinking enough water. Eight to ten glasses will wash out the toxins from your system, cleaning up your body and face which in turn it will limit the appearance of spots on your face and improve your complexion.
11. Avoid frequent beauty treatments: Facials and clean-ups only once in every two months is a good option to keep your skin healthy. It has been found that frequent beauty treatments tire and disturb the natural balance of your skin. This in turn takes away the natural glow of your skin and makes your skin look tired and aged.
12. Try home treatments: Your refrigerator and kitchen counter has some amazing products that can help a lot to improve your skin complexion. Soak a cotton ball in cold milk and then dab it over your face properly, leave for a few minutes and then wash it off with normal water. This will instantly refresh and re-hydrate your skin. A slice of chilled tomato or cucumber when rubbed over your face thrice a week can lighten dark spots and give nice glow to your skin. There are many such remedies at www.top10homeremedies.com that you can try to home.
13. Eat healthy: The foods you consume play a major role in how your skin looks. Following a diet plan that includes food rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants help a lot in improving your skin complexion. According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition fatty acids play a vital role in skin health. On the other hand antioxidants help in maintaining a healthy skin complexion. So, base your diet on fresh fruits, vegetables, and cold water fishes.
14. Say no to smoking: If you smoke, it is the right time to stop it. Smoking fastens up the aging process and can even cause many age related skin problems. It also makes the skin darker in complexion. Also smoking causes many health problems including different types of cancers. Plus, the harmful smoke from cigarettes hamper the health of both active as well as passive smokers. To know about the harms of smoking, read this informative article at www.cancer.gov.
A noticeable change in your skin tone can boost up your esteem and self confidence. But before trying these tips, you need to bear in mind to see improvement in your skin complexion you need to devote both time and energy. Also you need to have patience as nothing is going to work in a day or two.